Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chunks and Onmonitor

A little summary before I go on. Yesterday I added all my data chunks, but filled my hard disk space in the process. So I have removed all my chunks. Since this blog is really a letter to my future self, I'm going to review what I've done with chunks and 'onmonitor'.

cd to /data/informix/ to create the chunk files. I figured out that it is quicker to 'su' to 'informix' before I 'touch chunkx' so that I don't have to add the step changing the user and group. So I
# touch chunk1
and repeat on through chunk4, since that's all I have room for.

Once the chunks have been created, I 'chmod 660 chunk*' so I have the right permissions.

Once again I oninit -i so that I can get the engine up. Once I finish this blunder-through process finished, I'm going to create a walkthrough so that you only have to oninit -i once.

Assuming that the db engine started correctly, I then proceed to run 'onmonitor'. BTW, Colin told me that 'scoansi' works well for the TERM in onmonitor. And he's right!

So start 'onmonitor' Go to 'Info' and display the information for 'rootdbs'. Most likely chunk1 is already there. The size for chunk is set in the 'onconfig.std' so I need to set up chunks2-4. Exit 'Info' and enter 'Add_chunk'. Set the pathname to '/data/informix/chunk2' and make the size 10GB. Press Esc and it will verify the size on the disk and add the chunk to dbspace. Repeat as many times as necessary. Go to 'Info' to verify the existence of the chunks.

Exit 'onmonitor'.

No comments: