Monday, September 24, 2007

Setting the Environment Variables

IBM Informix refers to the installation directory as $INFORMIXDIR. I'm installing it into /opt/IBM/informix, so I cd /opt then mkdir IBM and cd IBM and mkdir informix. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but I don't want to get bogged down this early in the install. Now, I have /opt/IBM/informix created.

I'm using this Tips for Linux page as a reference for creating my environment variables. I need to set $INFORMIXDIR to be /opt/IBM/informix.


# INFORMIXDIR=/opt/IBM/informix
# export $INFORMIXDIR
-bash: export: `/opt/IBM/informix': not a valid identifier
# echo $INFORMIXDIR
/opt/IBM/informix

Not entirely sure why I get that "not a valid identifier" error, because when I display $INFORMIXDIR, it is correct.

No comments: